Saturday, September 28, 2013

Boldness

 Hello friends!
Have you ever had that moment when you were trying to say you were hungry, but what you actually said was that you wanted a man!.. Yep that happened to me. Unfortunately everyone still remembers AND reminds me each time we see each other.. I think that you would get the word hombre and hambre really mixed up too.
The last couple of weeks have been really busy! We have settled in to some what of a routine! We have made some really great friends and have begun to build relationships with them!  I miss home, but as many of you know I have a box of cards that my friends and family put together for me a couple of months ago! Those cards have been so amazing! Many days the verses will coincide with the exact situation I may be facing that day, but when I look up at the date it was written in June or July! The Lord is so faithful! He cares about each detail in our lives!  It has been very humbling to serve such a MIGHTY God!
I have a story that I want to share with you! It happened last week, but I haven't been able
 to stop thinking about it. I thought that might mean that I should share it with you! So I hope you enjoy!
Almost everyday we travel around the city by buses. Many times they are really crowded and full of people just trying to get home after a busy day of work, or to the next lunch meeting! It is a common practice for men and women to get on the bus at each stop and attempt to sale some chocolates, peanuts, or pens. It is also common for  people to get on the bus and tell a sad story to try to get people to give them money.  When they stand at the front of the bus they often mumble, hang their head low, and look ashamed. However, one day I was on the bus, and a man came on the bus. He was slightly taller than most of the peruvians, and he began speaking. Immediately when he started to speak he got my attention. There was something about the way his voice sounded that compelled me to look up at him. I listened to see if I could understand what he was saying, and I began to catch small phrases.  He was speaking with such boldness.  He was speaking loud and he believed every word that came out of his mouth as if his life depended on it. Little did I know that his life really did depend on it! I gathered that he was talking about Jesus. He was sharing the story about how Christ radically changed his life. I looked over at Gina and I asked her if she could tell me specifically what he was saying. This is what she said
" He says he was a drug addict. He was on the streets and he lost everything. He tried so many times to break his addiction, but he failed. He lost his family. He lost his home. He didn't have a job or anything else. He ended up in jail.  He said that the doctors told him that his addiction to the drugs was so strong that he would never be able to detox.  Then he met Jesus Christ.  He said that Jesus radically changed him. He broke his addiction to the drugs and he was set free! He said that Jesus Christ had the power to change any one's situation! He told us that  the bible says that if a man doesn't work he doesn't eat, and so he is on the bus trying to provide for his wife and child. Now that he has earned their trust back he is doing the best of his ability to provide for them!"
 I was just astounded. I normally just pray for them or tune them out, but this man was different!  His story was so compelling! He was just on the bus trying to provide for his family, yet he was doing so much more! He was sharing with others what Jesus Christ has the power to do! We have a lot to learn from this man.  I was encouraged simply by the way he spoke. So many times we try to sugar coat the gospel. We try to tip toe around what might offend other people. However,  I think we are holding the piercing words of scripture in our heart afraid of losing a relationship. When in reality I think that we are holding back words that could give them life! When we believe in what Jesus has done for us....When we have told God and others that we are devoting our lives to christ, we must follow that up by speaking BOLDLY! I am not telling you to stay on a street corner and condemn others, but I am asking you to share and speak the message that brings life.  Speak boldly about the way the Christ has changed your life . Don't stand at the front of the bus with your head down mumbling about why people should give you money. Present your words with passion (Not sugar) that captivate the listener's attention! This is the way that we start to accomplish the one mission we are called to!

Speak in boldness when you have plenty- " You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone O'Lord make me dwell in safety!" Psalm 4:7-8

Speak in boldness when you are unsure!
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding " Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in Him at all times, O people pour out your heart before him; God is our refuge!
"Have I not commanded you, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be dismayed or frightened for the Lord God is with me wherever I go" - Joshua 1:9

Speak in boldness when you are unequipped!
"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated, common mean, they were astonished. And they recognized that they had been with Jesus" Acts 4:13






No comments:

Post a Comment